Sunday, September 22, 2013

Children's Ministry

Our children's pastor and his family recently moved to do mission work.  Our church has a great group of kiddos from babies-elementary age.  We were approached by Jeff to see if we were willing to step in (along with two other couples) and be on our Children's Ministry Team.  My first thought was, "Yikes, this sounds like a lot of work). When he asked me, Phillip was just a few months old and I had my hands full being a wife and a mommy.  Derick and I discussed it and we felt like this was an area the Lord was leading us. I knew this year was going to be different for our family for a few different reasons.
 1. We just had a new baby boy.
2. Olivia was starting Pre-K at LGELC.
3. Derick's work hours were getting longer and longer
4. My sister and my SIL both work full time now(They were my fellow stay at home moms).

Having a new baby is a new adjustment anyways.  God was good to us when He gave us Phillip.  Phillip as been a constant joy for these past 9 months.  He has been my easy peasy baby and there's just something about a boy that will melt a mama's heart.
Olivia was starting a new phase: SCHOOL! She has adjusted to school wonderfully.  She has a great Christian teacher(who happens to be one of my good friends). Praise the Lord she loves school. It's made it easier on this mama for sure.

Derick has a wonderful job.  He works extra hard for us so I can stay home with the kids.  Sure, there are struggles since we are a one income home but it's worth the challenges! I count it a blessing to be home with my kids.

My sister, Jennie, is in her last year of nursing school. PRAISE THE LORD! I went from seeing/talking to my sister every day to barely seeing/talking to her 2-3xs a week.  She has worked hard and we are going to celebrate BIG when she graduates in May.  I'm ready to have her back in my life daily.  My BFF and SIL, Launi, started work this year.  Both her babies are in school so it was natural for her to work. I hate it! LOL. Everyone has left Katie home all alone.  Pity party over now.

So, it's been a year of changes.  I wouldn't trade any of it though.  I'm happy for my expanding family, I'm happy that Olivia loves school, I'm happy that Derick has a job to go to everday, and I'm even happy for my family and the new adventures they are taking.

I felt a little lost.  What was my purpose? I know I'm in a different stage in my life then my other family/friends.  I'm enjoying it for sure, but I felt like the Lord was laying something on my heart. I just wasn't sure what. So, when Jeff approached us, Derick and I knew this was where we needed to be.  We agreed to Jeff's offer and we've hit the ground running ever sinee.

Our other  two couples we work with have been a blessing to us as well.  I've gotten to know the ins and outs of ministry(Some good, some not so good) :). I've been raised in a pastor's home my entire life, so I knew what I was getting into.  We have been incredibly blessed in this position! It's been a lot of hard work but it's been very rewarding.  I see Children's ministry in a whole new light now that I have kids of my own.  I want it to be the best for our children.  But most importantly, I want these kids to come to know Christ.  That is our purpose!!

We have a lot in store for our children at the LGFWB Church.  It's an honor to help lead these children.   So, as I mentioned earlier, I was a little lost as to where I should be concerning the Lord's will. But, I'm happy to say, I'm right where I need to be.  I'm not perfect, but we're trying our best.  I'm excited to see what the Lord is going to do in our ministry.  Thank you parents for letting us be a part of this journey with your children.

1 comment:

  1. Your dedication and hard work, along with your love for the kids, is going to pay off big in their lives! Praying for you and your team!

    ReplyDelete