Friday, January 8, 2016

Potty training diaries

Phillip is approaching his 3rd birthday next week.  3?! I still can't believe it.

We introduced the potty to him this summer.  He had a little bit of interest but in all reality, he could really have cared less and preferred running around in his diaper. I asked advice from a number of my boy mommy friends.  I was getting frustrated because Olivia was potty trained in 1 week when she was 2.5 years old.  It couldn't have been any easier.

Why on earth was Phillip showing no interest?! Didn't he know it was time? I began giving up and when I would try again, he would get annoyed and not even try.  As I was complaining to Derick one night and comparing him to Olivia, Derick gently reminded me that Phillip is the complete opposite of his sister.  He was a boy(obviously) and a little less mature than Livy was at this age. He said it may take him longer and to wait it out until he started showing interest.  I thought to myself "Sure! He'll be the 4 year old going to school still in diapers!" I tend to be over dramatic at times :/

So, I finally just kept buying diapers and didn't give it one thought to training. I however did have a whole drawer full of spider man, thomas, batman, superman, and incredible hulk underwear.  I wanted to be prepared for when the time did arrive:)

The Christmas season came upon us and it was Monday of Christmas break.  Guess who went potty? Yep, Phillip! I thought it was just a crazy Christmas miracle and didn't think much about it.  Then, he continued to keep going that day (there were accidents) but he was figuring this out. That whole week was great progress toward our goal. Phillip was just so kind to do this the busiest week of the year.  A week where we were barely home.  We had lot's of places to be christmas week and potty training was not on my agenda.  He was hit and miss all week but he did pretty good.

Then New Years week came.  Kinda, sorta stuck with it but then he cried for his diaper.  I gave in and let him back in diapers.  I knew it was too good to be true.

As we were getting back into the swing of things with school starting, Derick said this would be a good time to get him back in routine with potty training.  I thought "Yes, honey.  It's a GREAT time.  I'll get right on that!" ----errr since the sarcasm.  I once again, given up on the idea of him being potty trained.

But, low and behold, I woke up Monday with the drive to do this.  And my golly, Phillip must have woke up with the same idea because he finally got it.  It clicked.  Hallelujah.  The angels were rejoicing.  He's gone all week accident free.  I'm overjoyed with this milestone but it's left me kind of sad too.  No more diapers in our home. Ever again.  (What's wrong with me?? We just got a pay raise with no more diapers)! But, don't worry, the feeling of joy outweighs the sadness.  Hahaha.

It's milestones like these, I think to myself "I've got this.  I have two kids who are on the right track in life." It's the little things in life....;)

And perhaps, there's nothing cuter than a boy in batman underwear!




No comments:

Post a Comment